Fight Back Against Parkinson’s
Rock Steady Boxing
Rock Steady Boxing® was founded in 2006 by the former Marion County (Indiana) Prosecutor, Scott Newman. At the age of 39, Mr. Newman was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease. He discovered that training like a boxer (non-contact) lessened his Parkinson’s symptoms.
Initially intended as a program to help people battle young-onset Parkinson’s disease, over the course of many years the program evolved to accommodate and help people at ALL stages of the disease. Word spread quickly of the success of the program, and people from all over the world began to call Rock Steady in Indianapolis asking for help. In 2012, the “Affiliate” program was created with the goal of spreading themessage of hope through boxing style training for people with Parkinson’s internationally.
We are learning every day that there are ways in which people with Parkinson’s disease can enhance their daily quality of life and even build impressive power, strength, flexibility and speed! By exercising with coaches who know the ropes, you can fight your way out of the corner and start to feel and function better. Boxing works by moving your body in all planes of motion while continuously changing the routine as you progress through the workout. These classes have proven that anyone, at any level of Parkinson’s, can actually lessen their symptoms and lead a healthier/happier life. Call us today!
WORKOUTS ARE DIVERSE & DONE AT ANY LEVEL:
- Rock Steady understands that there are many different levels of Parkinson’s and many levels of fitness. Rock Steady Coaches are trained to modify exercises so that anyone can benefit. There is a FIGHT in all of us. Rock Steady Boxing can be done at any level of Parkinson’s disease through the tough love of the Coaches and their understanding of the disease.
- Rock Steady Boxing is hybrid of many different training regimens that are good for Parkinson’s. With boxing at the foundation, each Rock Steady Coach brings different elements to mix into the workouts, which keep the curriculum fresh and challenging.
- An assessment is done on each participant before they join the program so the Coaches can learn about the client and work appropriately with each person based on individual needs.
What You Can Expect From Our Rock Steady Boxing Program
- Faster movement
- Looser muscles
- Better balance and posture
- Better hand/eye coordination
- Stronger Core
- Increased flexibilty
- Increased range of motion